Monday, August 10, 2009

sdltutorials.com 2009 Game Contest

I've been using the sdltutorials.com 2009 game contest as an excuse to dive into modern C++. Nevermind that I studied it pretty extensively about a decade ago, today it's a different animal.

Anyway, here's a preview of my entry. There's a lot to be done, but I think the hardest parts are over.




(youtube for better quality)

I'm not an artist, so you can expect a fair amount of particle effects in an attempt to cover my miserable sprites and textures.
The visuals are all lua driven and my campaign / mission system is pretty solid so adding the rest of the gameplay elements should be relatively simple. Of course, they won't be and if I finish in time it will be by the skin of my teeth.

Update:
I got bored and didn't make the deadline. It is likely that I'll come back to this and finish, but I doubt it will be any time soon since I'm not especially fond of side-scrolling shooter games. It did at least serve the purpose of getting me more acquainted with modern C++.

No comments: